List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [Rtl] SUSE 9.2 and RTLinux + 2.4.x
From:       V C R <vcravi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-20 4:54:56

Hi

My 2 cents worth ... I have RTLinux Pro 2.1 with kernel 2.4.25 running
alongside Fedora Core 2, which comes with a 2.6 kernel. The xorg.conf
file had to be changed to reflect a different node for the mouse (see
http://www.fsmlabs.com/articles/pro_faq/fedora_xorg.html). The network
and audio modules had to be manually inserted after logging in ... I
guess the boot scripts and/or modprobe.conf may need some changes. But
apart from these minor tweaks, there are no problems at all. I suppose
there should not be too much of a difference between the Pro and Free
versions w.r.t the basic linux i/f ... pl correct me if I am wrong !
Hope this helps.

VC

[quote]   Hi All !!!
Does anyone have any experience installing RTLinux + kernel-2.4.x
on a Linux-distribution that has 2.6.x kernel ?
I am  trying to install RTlinux-3.2-rc1 on SuSE 9.2 Pro.
I had downloaded gcc-2.95.3, compiled and installed that compiler,
patched kernel 2.4.27 with rtlinux-patch, compiled kernel with gcc-2.95.3,
installed grub, and tried to reboot.......

it starts, but root-device is mounted read-only, other devices not
mounted at all...

I remounted /root and /home "read/write" (they are on separate
partitions in my system).
After that said "init 5".
Well, KDE login screen appeared, I was able even to login without any
error-messages.
But mouse didn't work at all. Network-card didn't work too.
So, does anyone have any experience installing kernel 2.4.x on a system
that has natively only 2.6.x kernel ? :)

Best regards,

Dmitry Minich.[/quote]