List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [Rtl] Can i use standard drivers in RTLinux?
From:       Der Herr Hofrat <der.herr () hofr ! at>
Date:       2005-02-06 19:22:00

> Hi,
>
> probably a question that pops up every now an than, but i could not find
> any hint in the faq's i could locate:
>
> Is it possible to use standard linux drivers (e.g. not specialized
> rtlinux drivers) to access my hardware?
> If so, what are the drawbacks? Do i have to hack on device files or is
> there a way to use the api's provided by the manufacturer?

the simple answer is you can by simply calling the hardware dependant funcitons
directly - as rtlinux modules are operating in kernel space all the drivres need
to do is make there symbols available via EXPORT_SYMBOL and you can call it -
obviously it is up to you to ensure that the functions you are calling are RT-safe
though. The call interface also will be differenet as you will not be calling the
normal fops - although it can be done (see examples/kernel_resources for more).

An existing driver definitly will make things easier - but it most likely is
a better approach to recode from scratch using the existing primitives of the
working driver as a basis.

hofrat