List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [Rtl] What is the "do_BUG" and why does my rtl.o want it?
From:       "Norm" <ndrez () att ! net>
Date:       2004-11-23 10:43:09

Here's the situation:
    I had a HD "fail" -- the /boot partition is okay but the root partition
is currently inaccessible.  RTLinux worked perfectly on this system with
this kernel image and RTLinux module configuration.

    I had a "backup" HD.  The system appeared to work just fine as a normal
Linux system.  It was made for a P3 and included the RTLinux patches, but it
hung when I tried to insmod rtl.o.
    I had an older kernel image on this backup HD which had been made for a
P2.  When booted and I tried to insmod rtl.o I got an unsatisfied reference
to do_BUG.  This symbol is definitely included in the P3-image on this HD.
    When I copied the "P3" image from the failed HD and booted it, I also
got an unsatisfied reference to do_BUG.  Apparently this P3 image didn't
include that symbol.  [No, I don't have a copy of the kernel configuration
since it was on the root partition I can't get to.]
    I tried remaking the RTLinux modules but nothing changed.
    I finally remade a new P3 kernel on the backup HD and remade RTLinux as
well.  This kernel includes the do_BUG symbol and it works just fine.

    So ... apparently on the failed HD I had a P3-kernel that didn't have
the symbol do_BUG and on the backup HD the P3-kernel does have it.  It would
appear then that there was something different in the configuration of the
two kernels that caused this difference and I'd love to know what it was.
The only way I can see to determine that right now [until, if ever, I
recover the inaccessible EXT3 root partition] is to know what controls the
symbol do_BUG.  I tried grep'ing in the /usr/include tree but couldn't find
it.

    If it's not too much work, I'd really appreciate your looking up the
do_BUG thing and telling me what controls it's appearance in a kernel.

Thanks
    Norm