List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [Rtl] Re: RTLinux in a virtual machine on VMWare?
From:       Jim Wright <jwright () puaa ! net>
Date:       2004-10-12 22:58:24

Without trust relationships, root is only a security threat to the local
machine.  So first off, don't trust the student's machines.  Next, the
"threat" to the local machine can be dealt with by erasing and re-imaging
the machines after every use.  Let the students do whatever they want
(experiment, fail, break, succeed, even learn) on the machines.  Then wipe
it clean and start over.  This also has the benefit of providing a known
good starting point for each exercise.  Work can be saved on a secured
server, perhaps running CVS.  Of course, this means you need to develop
a way to re-image the machines quickly and easily.

Jim