List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [Rtl] High interrupt latency
From:       Christian Hardt <hach0006 () hs-niederrhein ! de>
Date:       2003-11-23 15:33:35

Der Herr Hofrat wrote

>>My configuration:
>>
>>- Kernel 2.4.20
>>- rtlinux-3.2-pre2
>>

>general comment:
>...everyone seems stuck at pre2 - work is only on pre3 tso
>getting feedback on pre3 would be more helpfull...

I am using pre3 now.

>>I have modified the measurement method of Michael Barbanov (from his
>>master thesis) to my needs. I am using two machines. Machine 1 with
>>RT-Linux is the measuring object. Machine 2 sends interrupt requests
>>over the parallel-port to Machine 1 and measures the respond time. The
>>interrupt requests are served by a RT-ISR.
>>
>>Everything seems to work fine. I can compile and load the module. But
>>during the measurement when I switch from KDE to a text console I get
>>interrupt latencies up to 15ms!!! I did the same measurement under RTAI
>>and the maximum latency was always under 30 us!
>>

>in examples/parallel you can find some tests to do that - could you check
>if they result in the same high delays ?

See below.

>>unsigned int MyISR_Handler(unsigned int irq, struct pt_regs *regs)
>>{
>>   outb(0x80, base);
>>   rtl_hard_enable_irq(irq);
>>   udelay(100);
>>

>hmm...30us response in an isr that has a udelay of 100 ? :)

Yes, because I measure the time between sending the request and  the
beginnig of  the  ISR.

>Aside from that the printk needs to be rtl_printf...looks like
>you copied from RTAI rt_printk -> printk...so you are calling an
>non-RT function here - not clear why this only pops up when switching
>consoles thoug - guess the VT code in the kernel is causing the delays you
>see.

You were right. The latency was caused by the Linux printk. Using printk
in RTAI results in the same bad behaviour.
Everything works fine now. Thank you!
I did the tests in examples/parallel, too. There was no strange behaviour.

C. Hardt