List:       linux-router
Subject:    [LRP] NEED YOUR OPINIONS ON ORINOCO
From:       "Jason Vanasdale" <vanasdale () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 13:12:19

fery and linuxrouter developers,
fery sounds like he has a good image. I cannot use it because it requires an
eepro100 NIC.  Can someone write and support and image that uses NE2000
cards, VANDEM ISA adapters, and have it compiled for a 486?  I have always
used idiot-images for my dial-up connection because I never could put in the
time required to learn and build a functioning diald router.
I believe that NE2000 (ISA and/or PCI) and VANDEM (ISA or PCI) router
compiled for a 486 may be the most useful Orinoco Router image to make for
the LRP community just because these items are very abundant. If it's
compiled for a 486 (or even a 386) would work almost as good on a pentium?

I'm not trying to save a $100+ on this one router, but I am looking from an
isp view.  Their business client premise equipment costs nearly $1000 in
equipment when implemented with: Antenna, Cable, Ground, Pigtails, radio
(orinoco /EC and card), and a cable/xDSL router. If LRP was involved I
estimate it drops the price down to around $500: Antenna, cable, ground,
pigtails, ISA adapter, PC Card, and an inexpensive 486 LRP box booting from
floppy. Of course, this LRP box whould have NAT, DHCP, and whatever else
will fit on a 1.68MB floppy.

I'm not an ISP, but this sounds like a Godsend to them and Campus Wireless
implementations.

Tell me what you think.