List:       linux-router
Subject:    [LRP] Re: Linux Router
From:       Andy <haninger.3 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2001-06-29 0:27:27

> Rafael Bratti wrote:
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Sorry for bothering you like this..
>
> My name is Rafael, I'm an IT manager of a small school in Brazil. I
> readed a lot about LRP, but I don't know Linux very well...
>
> My situation is this:
>
> I have a ADSL 256k with PPPoE and dynamic IP. The modem is a 3COM
> Router 812 that can do NAT, portfowarding etc...
>
> As soon as my ISP won't give me a fixed IP number, I plan to contract
> a dedicated 56K just to have a fixed IP number and run WWW, SMTP and
> FTP in my net.
>
> So these is what I'd like LRP to do:
>
> NAT-Route intranet-to-internet traffic to an internal ADSL modem using
> PPPoE and dynamic IP;
>
> NAT-Route intranet-to-internet traffic to an internal 56k-modem or
> external ethernet-SDSL modem
> using static IP;
>
> Load Balance for the two "WAN" lines, to don't waste the second 56k
> bandwidth;
>
> PortFoward from 56kmodem or external ethernet-SDSL modem to an
> internal server (WWW, DNS, SMTP and FTP);
>

> Can LRP do all these? Would it be hard to do? What would be a nice PC
> to run it? And if I add Squid?
>
> Thanks on Advance,
>                                                         Rafael Bratti

Rafael:

For reasons unknown to me, you sent this directly to me. While I am on
the LRP mailing list and have used LRP to do NAT from an old 486 and a
56k modem, I've done very little with servers on the net. Anyway, I have
no idea whether or not LRP would suit your needs, though my guess would
be that it's possible, but I have NO idea how to do it. Perhaps you
would be better to ask the experts at the LRP mailing list (I've
included the list in my reply). Those guys are the ones you wanted to
send mail to, not me.

Good luck.

haninger.3@osu.edu