List:       linux-router
Subject:    [LRP] suspicious log.
From:       "Deja User" <autofuzz () my-deja ! com>
Date:       2001-06-27 2:56:08

hi,
I have a question regarding something that got logged on my router, i'm not sure this \
is the right place to ask this question, in case it isn't please direct me \
accordingly.

on the 24th of June i got a trace in my 'messages' file from the sshd daemon stating \
that it refused a connection from some ip on the net (a valid routable IP on the inet \
someplace) and a second later the sshd stated it was generating a key sequence (i \
guess that's the stuff it does when someone connects via an SSH client) What's \
scaring me is the fact that port 22 on that machine is not open to the outside world. \
firstly the firewall (ipchains) rule deny's access, secondly in the hosts.deny file i \
have ALL:ALL and ALL:PARANOID set  and the hosts.allow file only allows a non \
routable internal address to access that machine.

i grepped for that IP address in all the log files and also looked for any suspicious \
things in the logs but didn't find any.

any idea what could have happened?? is it a breakin??

I'm using LRP Eigerstien Beta 2 (downloaded ~4 months back )with the default sshd \
daemon.

thanks,
A!