List:       linux-router
Subject:    Re: [LRP] Re: Help
From:       Ray Olszewski <ray () comarre ! com>
Date:       2001-05-29 4:23:38

I missed this first time through. See some comments below.

At 08:00 PM 5/28/01 -0700, Kenneth Hadley wrote:
>Are your clients using the ISP's DNS servers? Can you ping a internet
>address (not name) from a machine behind the LRP box?
>
>-Kenneth Hadley

Are the DNS servers on the Internet? If so, you can access the Internet, at
least to a limited degree. If not (if they are local hosts), it may be that
you have any of a number of things misconfigured.

Please describe in more detail what "not access the internet" means.
Especially if you can ping sites like google, as you seem to say below. Also
gives us the basic diagnostics of your LRP system -- with PPPoE running, the
output of

        ip addr show
        netstat -nr
        the actual output of any failed pings

>My other machine is running win2k.  For some
>reason
>
>Also, the minute i connect i get
>martian source 0300a8c0 for 0100a8c0, dev eth 1.  Any ideas why?

An address misconfiguration, perhaps? I'm assuming here that eth1 is the
internal interface. The source address above translates to 192.168.0.3, and
the destination address to 192.168.0.1. Might you have your internal network
on the LRP host set to something different (say 192.168.1.0/24)? For more
specific advice here, you will have to tell us the IP addresses you are
using internally.

>I can also ping outside sources, like www.google.com and the lrp website.

You might find it beneficial to review the discussion of ping problems in
the documentation section of the leaf.sourceforge.net project. If you can
ping some sites but not others, the details of the failures may be meaningful.