List:       linux-router
Subject:    Re: [LRP] System Requirements.....
From:       Andrew Haninger <haninger.3 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2002-12-09 15:10:05

> Is it possible to run the LRP on a 386 DX-40 system
> having just 4Mb Ram and a 40 MB HDD?
> or will I HAVE to increase the RAM to 8MB?
I believe 8MB is the bare minimum for LRP -- and that's the LRP 2.9.4 or
older and with very few services running. You'll be much more
comfortable with 16MB of RAM if you can afford it (30-pin SIMMs are
probably very expensive) or if it will fit in your machine.

With your current setup, you'll probably only be able to run some older
distribution like Slackware 2 or 3. However, these are VERY OLD and thus
very likely vulnerable to attacks.

Maybe your machine would be put to better use as a serial console or
with FreeDOS so that it can play some old MS-DOS games :-).

-Andy