List:       linux-router
Subject:    Re: [LRP] LRP wireless Bridge
From:       Andrew Haninger <haninger.3 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2002-05-10 21:19:16

> Please read the HCL for what items are required.
I'd like to expand on this. When I first read it, I went "HCL? What the
hell is that?" After thinking a bit, I did a Google search. It appears
that it is the RedHat Hardware Compatibility List. I found a link to
their site: <http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/>. This could differ
from the support given by LRP since, AFAIK, RedHat sometimes modifies
the kernel they ship with their distribution. However, it should be
almost completely similar.

Actually, it may be better to run a "make menuconfig" on the kernel you
want to run (my guess and suggestion would be 2.2.20, it's stabler, and
easier on lightweight machines) and see what wireless cards it supports,
and then go from there. At the very least, you'll want to read reviews
and be sure that your wireless card will work with Linux before trying
it.

But, yeah, once you get past getting the wireless cards an IP, it should
be no different than setting up a wired router, except you have some new
security issues to deal with (Who will be allowed to get an IP for use
on this router? Will you control it with passwords? Or by MAC address?)

Good luck! You're entering lightly-trodden territory!

haninger.3@osu.edu