List:       linux-rdma
Subject:    Re: ibstat does not recognize iWARP RNIC adapters
From:       Ira Weiny <weiny2 () llnl ! gov>
Date:       2012-04-27 17:29:16

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:11:07 +0000
"Hefty, Sean" <sean.hefty@intel.com> wrote:

> > Hal/Sean, I defer to you on whether you think we should add this change to
> > ibstat.  If you all recommend against it,
> > we'll advise customers to use ibv_devinfo, which is included with libibverbs
> > and is required for iwarp user apps.  But
> > it seems a minimal change to add, and previously it did include iwarp devices.
>
> It's not my call, but the proposed change is to libibumad, not ibstat.  libibumad \
> is really used to communicate with the kernel ib_user_mad module, which ignores \
> iWarp devices.  My objection was to changing libibumad, which cannot support iWarp \
> devices in any generic way.
> Having ibstat report iWarp devices by going through libibumad can actually give a \
> false sense that a iWarp device is usable and both libibumad and ib_user_mad are \
> required to make iWarp devices work.  Considering that it hasn't worked in 4 years, \
> I would think customers are more used to it not working with iwarp devices than \
> with.

Sean states this very well.  Until iWARP supports some sort of MAD processing
that is the distinction on what devices libibumad should return.  Following
that distinction I think ibstat should be changed in some way to reflect that.
See the other thread by Hal concerning possible names like "umad_devinfo".  I
am open to suggestions for other names.

Ira

> - Sean
> --