List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Adaptec 2100 Drivers Corrupt?
From:       "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken () kdm ! org>
Date:       2001-05-29 4:57:26

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 18:28:33 -0700, Derek Vadala wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2001, ritz wrote:
>
> > Adaptec's support for Linux has been lukewarm, at best (recently),
> > and nonexistent mostly (for many years until very recently).  Given
> > that track record, it is probably best to avoid their products if
> > you want to run Linux.  In general, the company seems to be all
> > about cranking out hardware with a bit of afterthought given to
> > driver support...and Windows driver support coming first.
>
> Unfortunately I'm reviewing the thing and don't have the luxury of picking
> another card. This doesn't bode well. I just noticed when looking at 2.4.5
> that the aic7xxx driver has been replaced with a new driver 'sponsored by
> adaptec'. I've had very good luck with all their non-RAID SCSI cards under
> Linux, including the 39160 which I picked up recently. I hope things don't
> take a turn for the worse.
>
> The 2100S has been nothing but a pain so far. In addition to all the
> oddball driver issues, there is apparently some strange issue when using
> IBM drives (DDYS in particular) with the 2100S series (3100 as
> well). Drives like to drop out of arrays without warning and without doing
> anything but power-cycling.

You really need version S96H firmware for IBM DDYS drives.  The ASR
controllers won't work well without it.  See:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=21282+38552+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-scsi/20010114.freebsd-scsi

> > If anyone at the hardware level of driver development cares to
> > comment, that would be fabulous.  Queries to Adaptec support
> > have gone unanswered for many weeks.
>
> I haven't even been able to get the tech support forms to submit an
> inquiry.

As someone else mentioned, if you've having trouble with the driver, you
should contact the author -- deanna_bonds@adaptec.com.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry