List:       linux-raid
Subject:    ide questions
From:       hixson () frozenwave ! com
Date:       1998-02-28 22:24:52

Hello,
  I am going to have 3 IDE drives to put into a server that is going to
be using the md driver to provide RAID 1.
Drives are all Western Digital:

1.0GB
2.2GB
3.0GB

I'm going to be putting the 2.2 and 3.0 (to get 2.2GB of mirrored
space) on separate IDE channels to maximize performance and was thinking
about using the 1.0 drive as swap/temporary space.  But since there are
only two IDE channels in the machine what would be the implications of
having the swap drive on the same channel with one of the other drives?
 Would this horribly interfere with the syncing between the two large
drives?
  Also, I don't know if this is even possible, could I put an IDE
controller in the machine and get a 3rd IDE channel for running the
swap drive?
  Thanks for any comments or suggestions,
   -M@
--