List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: ALR and ADAC RAID
From:       Geof Goodrum <ggoodrum () perigee ! ncdc ! noaa ! gov>
Date:       1998-01-28 8:34:28

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, PMESP - Administração Internet wrote:

> I would like to install Linux 2.0.30 into a ALR Server with a ADAC RAID 5
> controler.
> I start the system with the scsi boot disk but it don't recognize this board.
> Does anyoune have any information.

I started with the same configuration (ALR Revolution Q-SMP, ADAC Ultra
RAID controller - part of an organization-wide Novell server purchase).
Forget it. This card is not supported. I called ALR and American
Megatrends (the OEM), but they have shown no interest in supporting Linux,
either by writing a driver or providing programming information. Why
ignore a growing market when it would probably take only a few days to
write a driver, if that?  After all, they support SCO!

My Unix tech support contact at ALR is jackg@alr.com.  Send him some mail
and let him know that I am not the only person with an ADAC card who'd
like to use it with Linux.  My ADAC card's gathering dust on the shelf.

Go with a vendor that supports Linux, or use the software RAID.  I'm using
software RAID5 with an Adaptec 2940UW.  Using software gives more
flexibility in creating RAID partitions instead of entire drives, but
reduces performance and requires more setup time.  See
http://linas.org/linux/raid.html for Linux RAID hardware and software
solutions, if you haven't already.

Geof

DISCLAIMER:  The comments above are my own and may not represent the views
             of my employer.