List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Partition table disappearing
From:       Linas Vepstas <linas () fc ! net>
Date:       1997-09-29 18:33:21

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, John Lellis wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > suggesting that fdisk overlaps the /dev/sdn1 and /dev/sdn2 partitions.
>
> [...]
>
> > "Begin" is the last sector on cylinder 1024 and "Start" is the first sector
> > on cylinder 1025.
> >
> > But why should this cause the partition table to disappear under RAID5?  :-(
>
> because the RAID superblock (storing various RAID related on-disk
> information) is stored at the end of the partition. This is necessary to
> be able to mount RAID-1 filesystems under non-RAID kernels. Now, the
> problem is present under 'normal' ext2fs too, but in a much more subtle
> way: random disappearance of the partition table. (ext2fs allocates in a
> forward way, it might be that you dont see the problem for a _long_ time).

OK, please clarify. This sounds vaguely alarming.  A couple of times a year,
my disk fills up due to some runaway script.  Linux is pleasently robust with
this error: it doesn't die.  I just kill the runaway script, delete and/or trim
the
offending file(s), and everything is back to normal.

Can I assume that this will still be the case with /dev/md0 mounted?
If so,then is this statement accurate:

if one half of a mirror is mounted (instead of /dev/md0), and the disk fills up,
then the  raid superblock will be trashed?

--
Linas Vepstas   -- linas@fc.net.no.spam.please -- http://linas.org/