List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Announce: raidtools-pre-0.42
From:       Ingo Molnar <mingo () pc7537 ! hil ! siemens ! at>
Date:       1997-09-25 11:43:30

On 24 Sep 1997, Truxton King Fulton II wrote:

> I upgraded to linux-pre-2.0.31-9 with the p10-2 patch, and installed the
> raidtools-0.41 package.
>
> It still takes me a long time (100 minutes) to ckraid --fix a 500MB raid1
> device.

theres a new raidtools-pre-0.42.tar.gz on

      ftp://linux.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid

New features in pre-0.42, relative to 0.41:

  - fully threaded ckraid, use LinuxThreads 0.6 (or glibc 2.0) for best
    results. (ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/cristal/Xavier.Leroy)

  - Fancier output, current speed of reconstruction is constantly
    displayed in KBytes/sec. Time-limited output, reconstruction output
    wont overload slow consoles.

  - new RAID5 feature in ckraid, --suggest-fix-parity flag. If set, ckraid
    assumes that for failed rows the parity block is what should be fixed.
    Eg. after an unclean shutdown this is the proper option.

fixes in pre-0.42:

  - 4G+ (llseek()) disk fixes in ckraid. All cases are now covered
    properly.

  - smallish cleanups and performance improvements

I'm curious wether this version fixes your performance problems?

> But, I created a new, seperate 2GB raid1 device using the mkraid from
> raidtools-0.41, and that takes only 20 minutes to ckraid --fix.

please check out wether you still see differences with this new ckraid.

-- mingo