List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Set up RAID over linux
From:       Edward Welbon <welbon () bga ! com>
Date:       1997-05-28 1:10:12

I missed this message.  Delete if not relevent.

In a sense, I boot from a software raid.  My runtime root filesystem
resides on a soft raid (/dev/md*).  I have a cheesy little scsi disk that
is my start up boot device.  I have compiled into the kernel the initrd
support which lets me read in a filesystem from the start up disk to the
ram disk.  Once loaded the ram disk file system has a script /linuxrc that
is executed during boot.  The script contains an mdadd that enables the
runtime root file system on the soft raid.  The script writes the device
major+minor number of the md root filed system to the /proc file
"real-root-dev" (in my case/dev/md0 is major 9, minor zero so the correct
value is 0x900).

/bin/echo 0x900>/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev

After unmounting /proc, /linuxrc exits with /dev/md0 ready to go and
the boot proceeds.  I end up with all my filesystems being /dev/md0
(excepting the small scsi disk).  Not the same as the adaptec controller
strategy (such as it is) but it works very nicely.  It is conceptually
similar to booting from a floppy.  It would work on the adaptec three
channel controller.

A pity that the adaptec 3 channel controller in not provided in an ultra
wide format.

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;