List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: now that i've screwed up and apparently get to start over ...
From:       David T-G <davidtg-robot () justpickone ! org>
Date:       2022-10-23 1:52:15

Phillip, et al --

...and then Phillip Susi said...
%
% David T-G <davidtg-robot@justpickone.org> writes:
%
% > Then GRUB puked all over itself and I can't get the stupid thing running
% > /dev/sda and put /dev/sde back, and I get that GRUB can't boot from a GPT
% > disk ... except that /dev/sda has always been that!
%
% GRUB can boot from GPT just fine.  Assuming you are booting in EFI mode,
% it just has to have an EFI system partition, and be registered with the

Ah, but I'm not.  I only have four partitions

  jpo:~ # parted /dev/sda unit MiB p free
  Model: ATA SAMSUNG MZ7LN128 (scsi)
  Disk /dev/sda: 122104MiB
  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
  Partition Table: gpt
  Disk Flags: pmbr_boot

  Number  Start     End        Size      File system     Name      Flags
	  0.02MiB   1.00MiB    0.98MiB   Free Space
   1      1.00MiB   33793MiB   33792MiB  linux-swap(v1)  jpo-swap  swap
   2      33793MiB  66561MiB   32768MiB  xfs             jposuse
   3      66561MiB  99329MiB   32768MiB  xfs             jpoalt    legacy_boot
   4      99329MiB  122104MiB  22775MiB  xfs             jpo-ssd

(taken from an identical machine) and do not use that UEFI stuff that I
don't know.  Way simple.

% EFI firmware.  You can't just copy the partitions to a new drive and
% remove the old drive and expect it to boot.  You will need to
% grub-install on the new drive to register it with the EFI firmware.

Heck, I'd be happy to be booting from the old drive!

Thanks again & HANW

:-D
--
David T-G