List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Question: RAID cabinet for home use (vs "Backplane/Cage/Mobile Rack"?)
From:       Bill Hudacek <bill.hudacek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-22 13:56:42

Roger Heflin wrote on 6/21/21 8:03 PM:
 > I have been using the 4 drives in to 3x5.25 bays and have a cheap
10x5.25 bay case..   These 4 into 3 bay devices are all direct sata
connections with minimal electronics and you need 4 sata connections,
but less than 4 power connectors.   They are hot swap and usually have
disk activity lights and usually have fans.

 > The brand I have used in the past is IcyDock.
 >
 > There are few components to go wrong so they are really direct sata
and/or sas connections. with very limited electronics to go wrong, but
you need one port per drive.

I looked at that '4 into 3 bay device' - seems to be intended for
internal use, not a cabinet sitting on a shelf.   And - I need five
bays to be able to just move my drives rather than redesign my storage.

What is your 'cheap 10x5.25 bay case'? My drives are 3.5 but that
manufacturer may offer either drive adapters or a 3.5-based unit.

I found another product from Icy Dock -
https://www.amazon.com/ICY-DOCK-MB975SP-B-R1-Tray-less/dp/B06X9P4BYL?th=1
- but that requires an SATA connection for *each drive* (rather than
port multiplier). This is more a backplane extender than a RAID cabinet.

I could of course replace the controller that I added-on so long ago -
the card in the computer is a pedestrian "Marvell 88SE9123 PCIe SATA
6.0 Gb/s controller" (but it has port multiplier, so 1 eSATA
connection serves all 5 drives - which is pretty nice).

I've worked with 'octopus' SCSI controllers (in a data center, long
time ago) with 8 cables coming out the back. I'm not sure what I would
be able to find for a SATA external cabinet like the 'FlexCage' above.
Does anyone have any controller suggestions for the FlexCage? With 5
or more external 'pure' SATA connectors/ports instead of eSATA?

I'll poke around a bit more. Thanks for the tip - I'd never heard of

/Bill

<bill.hudacek@gmail.com> wrote:

 >         My 2021 Sans Digital TR5UT+B held 5 SATA disks. I had an eSATA
 >         connection to the host box. It went belly-up a few weeks ago.
 >
 >         After some careful searching, a good replacement seemed to be
the Oyen
 >         Digital Mobius 3R5-EB3-M. Found it for about $300USD.
 >
 >         It was plug-and-play replace. Drives were being addressed by
UUID in
 >         Fedora so no issues at all. It came right up.
 >
 >         However, smart reporting looks horrible even compared to the
TR5UT+B