List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: MD does not wait for drives on start-up with kernels 3.8+
From:       NeilBrown <neilb () suse ! de>
Date:       2013-04-24 7:12:48

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:11:57 +0600 Roman Mamedov <rm@romanrm.ru> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 20:34:49 +1000
> NeilBrown <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
>
> > > This was NOT required on any of the previous kernels, so I wonder why all of
> > > sudden with the 3.8+ kernels my system needs an extra "crutch" just to keep
> > > starting up properly.
> >
> > This is almost certainly not directly related to the kernel.  It seems clear
> > that some change in the kernel has resulted in the difference, but it is
> > probably indirect and really a bug elsewhere.
> >
> > What distro are you using?  Is systemd in use?
>
> Debian Testing, no systemd.

Can you try something for me?

Edit   /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/mdadm

and just before the line:

  verbose && log_begin_msg "Assembling all MD arrays"

insert

  /sbin/udevadm settle

Then try booting without the 'rootdelay=10'.

If it doesn't (and the odds are at least even) then we have an awkward
situation.  The kernel is discovering devices asynchronously but it isn't
clear that there is any way to wait for it to "finish".

NeilBrown