List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Sensible settings for a three (or four) device RAID 10 f2 array using recent SATA II disks
From:       Bruce Miller <subscribe () brmiller ! ca>
Date:       2009-12-10 3:59:45

I would welcome comments on sensible chunk and stripe settings to use for my first \
venture into RAID which I will be setting up over the upcoming holiday quiet period. \
The array will be setup as a Linux MD RAID 10 f2. It will have either three 500GB \
SATA II 7200rpm physical drives or possibly 2 x 500GB drives plus 1 x 1TB SATA II \
10Krpm drive divided into two 500GB partitions for a total of four devices.

I have decided on this setup from almost two years of lurking on this list. I will be \
working my way studiously through 50 pages of the wiki overview on the \
linuxfoundation.org website before I begin any actual setup. Even so, I would welcome \
a message off-list from a more expert user ready to field a question from a \
first-timer.

Personal background: I am recently retired. I have never been an IT professional; on \
the other hand, as an amateur, I have been happily breaking alpha and beta software \
for the last 27 years --- that is, from long before GUIs migrated from PARC into the \
commercial world. I pride myself on being a quick study. The primary goals of setting \
up a RAID array are education and performance. BTW, I do not confuse RAID with backup \
and have religion on the importance of multilayered onsite and offsite backup. My \
strategy has just been tested less than a week ago by the sudden (and apparently \
irretrievable) failure of the data drive on my primary workstation. It is this \
workstation which I will rebuild over Christmas with a RAID array; the fallback old \
desktop computer is just not as pleasant to work on <grin>.

--
Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
bruce@brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned \
                to walk forward.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt