List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: How to grow RAID1 mirror on top of LVM?
From:       Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2008-03-25 8:00:10

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply!

On 25 Mar 2008, at 05:36, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Thursday March 13, aia21@cam.ac.uk wrote:
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this?  I am hoping someone will tell me
>> use option blah to utility foo that will do this for me without
>> having
>> to break the mirror twice and resync each time.  (-;
>
> Sorry, but no.  This mode of operation was never envisaged for md.
> I would always put the md/raid1 devices below the LVM.

We do that already.  (-:  And then we put MD on top again.  What we
have is two computers, each with six 500GB disks, set up as MD RAID-10
+ 1 hot spare on the six disks.  Then run LVM on the MD RAID-10 and
create two virtual drives on the LVM on each box.  Then on each box we
have one of the LVM drives feed into an MD RAID-1 mirror and the other
LVM drive is exported via iSCSI (iscsitarget) to the other box.  The
iSCSI drive is then imported by the other box using open-iscsi and the
resulting device is fed into the other half of the MD RAID-1 mirror on
that box.

So yes, I am sure you never envisaged this mode of operation!  But it
is a way to give us synchronous data replication across two sites
(there are about 3 miles between the two boxes) with free software
which in combination with my custom scripting and heartbeat2 allows us
to fail the storage (the MD RAID-1 are xfs formatted and the NFS
exported) over from one site to the other at the flip of a switch and
in case of one machine blowing up, etc.

> Every time you buy two drives, combine them into a RAID1, and add the
> /dev/mdX as a PV for LVM.  Then grow you LVM devices whenever you
> like.
>
>> If not, please consider this a feature request for mdadm.  (-:  It
>> should have an option to detect that the underlying device has grown
>> and thus write a new superblock  (or move the old one or whatever) at
>> the end of the newly grown device instead of complaining that it does
>> not exist.  Or something!  As it is, it is incredibly time consuming
>> and inefficient.  )-:
>
> I'll keep it in mind (Which it to say:  I will save this in my 'mdadm'
> mailbox, and have a look through that mailbox next time I'm working on
> improvements to mdadm).

Great, thanks!

Best regards,

	Anton