List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Revisiting performance of RAID 10,f2
From:       Bruce Miller <subscribe () brmiller ! ca>
Date:       2008-03-05 20:55:41

In some direct correspondence with Carla Schroder, she mentioned that you referred to \
a posting which you had written to this list on the performance of RAID10 "far 2". I \
have located several posts on this point, but none with your name. Please forgive me \
if I have been blind, but would you mind reposting it (or forwarding it off-list, if \
you prefer).

I am a hobbyist user, rather than an IT professional and have been lurking on the \
list for just over a month trying to learn about RAID before experimenting myself. \
Many "introductory HOWTOs" on RAID appear to recommend dividing the physical devices \
which will form the array into a small swap partition which remains as "plain \
ordinary swap" outside the array(s) and a larger data partition used to build the \
array. Do you recommend this? or a swap partition as a logical volume within the \
array? Or is this an inconsequential consideration, given that the machine where I \
will be building the array already has 4 GB RAM?

I ask in advance for your patience with beginners' questions. But I work on the basis \
that the most stupid question is the one never asked. Thanks in advance.