List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Change Stripe size?
From:       Nagilum <nagilum () nagilum ! org>
Date:       2007-12-31 17:30:57

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

----- Message from jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com ---------
     Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:02:14 -0500 (EST)
     From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
       To: Greg Cormier <gcormier@gmail.com>
       Cc: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Greg Cormier wrote:
>
>> So I've been slowly expanding my knowledge of mdadm/linux raid.
>>
>> I've got a 1 terabyte array which stores mostly large media files, and
>> from my reading, increasing the stripe size should really help my
>> performance
>>
>> Is there any way to do this to an existing array, or will I need to
>> backup the array and re-create it with a larger stripe size?
>>

> Backup the array and re-create it is currently the only way with sw
> raid AFAIK..
>
> Justin.
----- End message from jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com -----

Yep, but I think increasing the readahead should do almost the same
without having to re-create the RAID.
See http://hep.kbfi.ee/index.php/IT/KernelTuning for instructions.
Happy new year everyone!

#    _  __          _ __     http://www.nagilum.org/ \n icq://69646724 #
#   / |/ /__ ____ _(_) /_ ____ _  nagilum@nagilum.org \n +491776461165 #
#  /    / _ `/ _ `/ / / // /  ' \  Amiga (68k/PPC): AOS/NetBSD/Linux   #
# /_/|_/\_,_/\_, /_/_/\_,_/_/_/_/   Mac (PPC): MacOS-X / NetBSD /Linux #
#           /___/     x86: FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris/Win2k  ARM9: EPOC EV6 #