List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array
From:       Gordon Henderson <gordon () drogon ! net>
Date:       2006-12-30 22:55:18

   Yeechang Lee wrote:
> [Also posted to
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware.]
>
> I'm shortly going to be setting up a Linux software RAID 5 array using
> 16 500GB SATA drives [...]

I'm of the opinion that more drives means more chance of failure, but
maybe it's just me. I got bitten with a 2-drive failure once in an 8-drive
RAID-5 set a couple of years ago. Fortunately with the aid of mdadm, etc.
and having direct access to the drives rather than having them hidden away
behind some hardware device I was able to recover the data that time, and
now SMART is getting cleverer ... Howerver ...

Did you consider RAID-6?

I've been using it for some time now (over a year?)

But maybe drives are becoming more reliable though - not lost a drive in
the past year!

Gordon
-