List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: confusion about partitionable md arrays
From:       Bill Davidsen <davidsen () tmr ! com>
Date:       2006-12-30 22:08:53

Michael Schmitt wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> this `thing ´ works in another computer and as I moved it to another one,
> I could not get it working. So the problem is... somewhere in between :)
> As I had other non md-related problems in this computer (power supply
> insufficient, system could not boot from hda anymore when sata disks
> were connected to the pci-controller so I needed to unplug the sata
> cables until grub has loaded, BIOS upgrade did not help), I moved the
> array back in the original one, and it worked without a change.
>
> But I noticed there a different behavior "Generating udev events for MD
> arrays" showed up during boot, listing the partitions md0_d0p1 to
> md0_d0p4 and of course /dev/md0_d0pN showed up. Then I cogitated about
> all that a bit and came to some possible conclusions. Maybe the nameing
> scheme for the arrays need to reflect somehow if it is a partibionable
> array or not, if there are partitions and if udev needs to add the
> appropriate devices... or not. Then I remembered some of the strange
> things which happend when I did set up the array in the first place. I
> tried to name the array "md0" but /dev/md_0" was generated too. /dev/md0
> was somehow "dead" and my array was accessible as /dev/md0_d0. A bit
> later as I tried to build an array with IDE discs in the "troublesome"
> computer, I noticed similar effects. I tried to name the array
> simple /dev/array1 but /dev/md127_d0 (iirc) was generated
> too. /dev/array1 was dead and the raid was accessible at /dev/md127_d0.
> So, whats all that? Even if I had read somehwere the name of the device
> can be anything, it may be that that's not really true.
>
> So the question remains the same, the confusion is persistent as the
> superblocks in my arrays :) Any input is appreciated.
>
> I already did read some mails in this list but did not get the point and
> no real explanation to my question. I will read on, maybe I get
> enlightenment.

I just reread the man page, and there is a paragraph on partitionable
arrays following the "-a" option. Having warned you that I'm not
experienced in this, I wonder if there is some interaction between
device names created by "-amdp" and rules for udev, and how much of this
partition info is carried in the superblock. There's a lot of discussion
of names in that paragraph.

I also wonder if using the "-amdp" vs. just "-ap" will work differently.
Hopefully Neil will have words of wisdom if we continue to thrash
without a good understanding.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc