List:       linux-raid
Subject:    how does autoraid work ?
From:       peter pilsl <pilsl () goldfisch ! at>
Date:       2006-11-28 18:59:36

I've currently a new server (first ubuntu I set up) and I've a problem
with a raiddevice. While the system itself (/ and /boot) do not use
raid, a /data-partition is setup as raid1 /dev/md0

Now I'v the problem that md0 is not started during boot, but only late
when the scripts in rc.d/ are processed for my runlevel. There is a
script mdadm-raid that actually assemlnbles the raid based on a
copnfig-file. This is not what I want/need.

On my other servers the raids are autodetected much earlier by the
kernel or a module much earlier without need of a configfile.

The partitions of my raid are all labeld als linux-autoraid and I can
manually assemble my raid with mdadm -A -a yes -m 0 /dev/md0, so
everthing should be fine for the kernel to autostart my raid.

When exactely are the raids supposed to be assembled during boot. Which
module/script is actually responsible for doing this?  And are there any
  shots in the dark, why my ubuntu/debian is not doing so?

The raid is on hde and hdf - can this be the problem? that the
raidmodule/script/whatever does not scan beyond the first two ide-buses?

I tried  raid=autodetect on the bootline but this didnt help either.

I hope I made my self a bit clear and any help is greatly appretiated...

thnx
peter

-