List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Problems with RAID Linear Grow
From:       Pat Fitzpatrick <Pat_Fitzpatrick () pmc-sierra ! com>
Date:       2006-11-24 0:33:31

I'm having issues trying to add a disk to a Linear RAID. I'm using mdadm 2.5.4 and \
kernel 2.6.18.

I can create a two disk linear RAID as follows:
mdadm -C /dev/md0 --level=linear -n2 /dev/sata1 /dev/sata2
and all is well.

I then attempt to add a third disk:
mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --add /dev/sata3
for example, but only get:
mdadm: Cannot add new disk to this array

The new disk gets a superblock created on it matching the other two disks, but the \
bind_rdev_to_array call in add_new_disk (in md.c) is returning -ENOSPC. rdev->size is \
160836416 (the size of the disk I'm trying to add) and mddev->size is 0.

I'd appreciate any insight into what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Pat

-