List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Grub vs Lilo
From:       Simen Thoresen <simentt () dolphinics ! no>
Date:       2006-07-27 11:50:38

Lewis Shobbrook wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Wondering if anyone can comment on an easy way to get grub to update all
> components in a raid1 array.  I have a raid1 /boot with a raid10 /root and
> have previously used lilo with the raid-extra-boot option to install to boot
> sectors of all component devices.  With grub it appears that you can only
> update non default devices via the command line.  I like the ability to be
> able to type lilo and have all updated in one hit.  Is there a way to do this
> with grub?

Hi All,

I'll second this RFI - I /think/ I know how to set this up by hand (I'm
following the doc on
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/software-raid-howto.html
, and have tested booting from each drive from this), but this is
neither very simple, nor automatically applied to a new disk when it is
hot-added. Thus the procedure will need to be executed each time a drive
is replaced.

Perhaps a GRUB-forum is a better venue for this discussion?

-S

> Cheers,
>
> Lewis
> -

Simen Thoresen, Dolphin ICS
Systems Administration and Wulfkit Support
-