List:       linux-raid
Subject:    AW: SW-RAID 1 and kernel 2.4.18
From:       "SCHEP. - Schepke, Arnt" <SCHEP () Hoeft-Wessel ! de>
Date:       2002-11-27 14:46:14

Hi,
we don't hot swap the IDE drives. The described errors appear in runtime,
without touching the drives.

Besides the original configuration (Mainboard MSI MS-6309 V5.0 (694T Pro)
with VIA Apollo Pro 133 Chipset), we try now an ASUS TUSL2-C (Chipset Intel
815EP B0). Both with PIII/1300, 512MB RAM.

The result so far: the SW-RAID on ASUS Board also kicks one disk off the
raid, in 3 of 4 tests the pc was hanging. The Asus-PCs don't have anything
about the disks in /var/log/messages.

The same (hanging, disks kick out, no messages) happens by using a ide
controller on pci card (internal ide controller switched off by bios).

Other tests (all with MSI board) with errors:
 - other ide disks: we use IBM IC35L040 ADDA and AVVN 40GB originally,
tested also Maxtor (don't have the type) and Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
(ST340016A)
 - other distribution: originally we use SuSE 7.3 with Kernel 2.4.18, tested
also Red Hat 8.

The only tests without errors were the ones with DMA switched off via
   hdparm -d 0 /dev/hdx
There we made 5 Tests (normal configuration, both disks on one ide port (hda
and hdb), without removable frames) All this tests with DMA have errors.

Hope I have you now totally confused..

Regards

---
Arnt Schepke <schep>