List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Help!  Head crash on IDE Seconday Master.  Slave has all the data
From:       Stuart Levine <stuart () reveltech ! com>
Date:       2002-11-23 12:38:32

Hi,

So I build this great new P4 2.53GHz server.  I had two WD 100GB Caviar
Special editions running in a RAID1 format.  All seemed fine except one
drive was very noisy and caused excessive vibrations.  Thought nothing
of it because it's less than a month old.  Well, I was wrong, very
wrong.  Last night the drive failed and the next boot up sequence left
me with sound I will never forget.  Anyway, until I get a new drive to
rebuild and supplant the array, I was going to boot from /dev/md0 (/boot
partition) but to no avail the system does not want to recognize it as a
boot disk.  If I boot up in rescue mode, it says there are no partitions
on the disk (/dev/md0).  However, if I use the fdisk -l I get what you
would expect including a BOOT partition.  Luckily, I did make the
emergency boot floppy and I am able to boot the system on from that
floppy for the ROOT partition on the disk /dev/md2.  So, how do I tell
the boot loader to look at /dev/hdd instead of /dev/hdc (the dead disk
in the raid pair) without loosing my installed data?  I now new to RAID,
however, I am new to software RAID in Linux.  Any help and advise would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]
-