List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: PDC 20276 RAID support in 2.4.18
From:       Alvin Oga <aoga () Maggie ! Linux-Consulting ! com>
Date:       2002-07-27 0:51:29

hi ya steve

how was the system tested ???

-- my simple raid-compatibility test is:
	( assuming raid1 or raid5 setup on ide disks )

- pull out /dev/hda
	- see if it boots

- pull out /dev/hdc  ( the other boot disk )
	- see if it boots

- plug a virgin ( unformatted/unpartitioned disk )
  into either /dev/hda or /dev/hdc
	- see if it boots and resyncs itself

if the system doesnt boot or doesnt resync ( all by itself )
than i'd see its a problem and need more fixing... and tweeking

- i disable all onboard ( motherboard/firmware based raid )

have fun
alvin

the pdc 202xx series chips are great for sw raid5...
( inexpensive, functional and works in the promise/maxtor pci cards )

-