List:       linux-ppp
Subject:    Re: defaultroute option
From:       Bill Unruh <unruh () physics ! ubc ! ca>
Date:       2002-10-20 17:59:20

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, James Carlson wrote:

> Danny Lepage writes:
> [...more comments on that later...]
> > Sorry, I hope I'm not sounding arsh or something. It is just that for
> > now, given the current tools, there is no way to reliably do what I want
> > to do. Unless there is an "unknown" feature to "reserve" ppp interface
> > for specific use i.e. somehow tell pppd to not use ppp0 unless
> > specificly told otherwise.
>
> The undocumented "unit <n>" option forces pppd to select a particular

Actually it does not force it, it is just a suggestion. If pppd is
unable to assign that unit number, it drops back to the old system. It
is very easy to make this a "must" rather than a suggestion by a one
line change in the code, but it does require a code change.

sys-linux.c
in the subrouting make_ppp_unit()

Just comment out the second occurance of
 x = ioctl(ppp_dev_fd, PPPIOCNEWUNIT, &ifunit);
(or the whole if statement.)

-