List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: UDP and LinuxPPC Daemons
From:       William Blew <wblew () home ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 19:15:20

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, zeke wrote:

> I'm trying to secure a LPPC box on the internet. When I do a portscan
> on my box using UDP it responds on almost every port. On many of the
> ports I know there is no daemon to respond. Should I worry from a
> security standpoint? When I do a portscan using TCP I only get ssh
> and http (22 and 80). That is all I want to respond. After writing
> this I realize this may be more for a security mailing list, sorry.

I recommend using the linux hardening "Bastille" project's software. As
LinuxPPC/2000 and YellowDog are redhat derivatives I wasn't surprised to
find that there weren't any major issues with my YDL 1.2 workstation.

One issue: Bastille uses perl's Curses extensions. You will want to ensure
that the Curses extension for perl is installed and used by Bastille. This
requires the removal of the Curses support that Bastille provides with
its installation. This is because the Curses support Bastille includes is
specific to the x86 platform.

After that, Bastille worked great for me on my YDL 1.2 workstation.

PS: "perl -mCPAN -e shell" is an easy way to extend perl's capabilities.

PPS: Curses's button widgets looked weird but did work.

--
William Blew, wblew@home.com
Gamer by Choice, Geek by Birth

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/