List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Beige G3
From:       James Wall <rtb.ink () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 3:55:02

Peter, I finally printed out the new users manual to check out the
instructions to install on an old world machine. In a nut shell -
they suck.

First - Ben's page URL

http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

There you can get Ben's new kernel and new versions of some of the
software to boot to linux. Now for the instructions.

I'll assume that you've set up the partitions and installed the
software that you want.

First - ignore the LinuxPPC boot partition that comes up. You only
need to install system maps to it so you can just uncheck mount at
startup and write protection Drive Setup (I'll have info on
System.Map below). Once you have a working kernel I wouldn't play
with it until you're ready to start compiling your own. There should
be a folder in your active system folder called Linux Kernels. It
should be created when you install the software on the MacOS side.
Download the newest kernel from Ben's page. It will be called
vmlinux. Copy that to the Linux Kernels folder in your active System
Folder (remember - ignore the one on the boot partition).

Download the following files:

vmlinux2.2.17pre ... whatever.
System.Map ... whatever
Modules ... whatever

The last link if for the source - download it if you want it,
otherwise you can ignore it. You'll find lots of kernel sources all
over.

Install the files as follows:

vmlinux --> (MacOS System) Folder:Linux Kernels

System.Map --> (linux) /boot  (that is the boot directory of the
Linux directory tree - don't worry if this sound a little strange -
Linux is strange. Here you can just copy it to the boot partition
that comes up on your desk top, if you've removed the write
protection, this the only place where the boot partition means
anything on the MacOS side.)

Modules (linux)  -->/lib/modules

**Note on disks** Linux can read HFS disks right off the bat, but it
cannot read HFS+ disks. If you have your HD formatted as HFS then you
can just mount it under Linux. If it is HFS+ then you will have to
create an HFS disk - a zip is fine - to easily transfer files between
sides.

Now for bootx. It is an extension and an application. For both there
is a pop up menu where you pick which kernel you will use to boot,
and the path for your root "/" partition. You can find out both using
pdisk. I belive there are instruction in the users guide. Pick the
new kernel and make sure that you have the correct path set. Also
remember to remove any comments from the "More Kernel arguments"
field.

--

James Wall
rtb.ink@mindspring.com