List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: RealPlayer stability
From:       Greg Wright <gwright () real ! com>
Date:       2000-07-05 21:24:57

> I think I've tracked down one limitation of RealPlayer on PPC - it's
> multithreaded but isn't SMP-compatible.
>
> I tried the "NetworkingThreading=0" without any noticable effect.

If you really want to tell if it is an SMP problem you can play
with the following options to turn all the different threads on
and off:

NetworkThreading=[0,1]
ThreadedDNS=[0,1]
ThreadedAudio=[0,1]

If you make those all zero you will remove all threads from the
system. If you use top or ps it will report more than one thread
but that is just a manager thread that comes about from linking
with pthreads and will not actually do anything in this case.

NOTE: if you turn off ThreadedAudio and use ESD or play high bit-rate
audio you may experience a very unresponsive UI.

> I'd been having very predictable crashes (segfault) whenever I tried
> to play a network stream.  I collected a handful of stack crawls, all
> different, except that the crash always seems to be in a new or
> delete operator.  I rebooted with a UP kernel and the crashes went
> away - I was able to press the Take5 button without a crash.

I would really like to see a couple stack traces if you have them.
Hex address are OK as I can back them out into the line of code.

> I'll hazard a guess that there's race conditions that can lead to
> heap corruption if the wrong thread wins.

Ahhh, the ones *so easy* to fix! :-)

> --
> Scott Lindsey <wombat@gobe.com>

--greg