List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Extremely Frustrated- the saga finally ends
From:       Cerberus <cerberus () aes ! clara ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-01-31 21:50:00

> Well, ... I'll be damned!
>
> Although I had tried the redhat install method before on a scsi disk, I
> hadn't yet gone that route on my internal IDE drive. It actually WORKED!!
> I finally have linuxppc working.
Congratulations!

> I am also trying to figure how to get Netscape to work with my
> cable modem. Network utilities are functioning (ping tracerout etc) so I
> know my ethernet is getting to the cable modem and out to the net.

> Is there any central
> repository of rpms which will work on linuxppc? I assume those meant for
> intel will not work.
You assume right, though you can often get the source code and compile
things yourself.
On the otherhand there are several places to look for PPC specific
packages.

If 'central', well, www.linuxppc.com is a good place to start.

There is a news item on the new sourceforge linuxppc mirror, links on
the top right of their page to several linux sites, and on the left of
the page links to there own ftp sites.

Also check out www.linuxppc.org and their ftp site (or mirrors thereof).

In particular check out:

the contrib directory (its mirrored at sourceforge).
http://ftp.linuxppc.org/contrib/linuxppc-1999/software/summary.html

Frank Sirl does an excellent job maintaing the gcc compilers ,glibc etc
for linux/ppc
ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/R5/RPMS/ppc/

Its worth checking out some of other directories on
ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users (also mirrored at sourceforge I beleive),
for updates to Xfree86 and Xpmac.

And of course you can find things on Freshmeat, Filewatcher.org and
rpmfind.

Be careful, have fun, and try not to fill up that partition *too*
quickly.

Cerberus

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/