List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: NFS client for Mac (fwd)
From:       Breen Mullins <bmullins () asante ! com>
Date:       2000-01-31 15:56:27

>Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:03:09 -0600
>From: Justin Shore <listuser@vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu>
>To: linuxppc-user@lists.linuxppc.org
>Subject: NFS client for Mac
>

>Greetings all.  I just saw today that Thursby has released MacNFS.
>Its version was 3.0 which made me wonder if they had released other
>version of it before or if they had bought it from someone else.
>Does anyone know of any more Mac NFS clients?  I occasionally find an
>old link that points me towards one but the pages are usually very
>out of date or dead.  Any ideas?

Hi Justin --

Yes, Thursby used to make a MacNFS client. They dropped it sometime
about the time Apple released Open Transport, which provided emulated
support -- but only on the built-in ethernet port -- for several hardware-
level calls that MacNFS, MacIPX, and some other packages needed.
All of those packages needed to be rewritten in order to support PCI
network cards. Novell took over a year to get their act together; Thursby
simply decided the market wasn't there to warrant rewriting the code.

I'm glad they've changed their minds. There were a lot of people out
there who wanted to connect their Macs to a Unix server at 100Mbps
(I talked to a lot of 'em!) and weren't able to.

Hmm . . . Digital Equipment also used to be involved in MacNFS back in
the old days. I hope I've got the right names, but I think the story is
essentially right. Someone will tell me if I've got it wrong.

Cheers --
Breen

Breen Mullins

SQA Engineer