List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: please, help with Xpmac
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-01-16 18:39:04

"Daniel J. Patnaude" wrote:

> Hello-
> I installed the latest Xpmac yesterday, and I have to say, it worked great. The > \
> screen was nice and bright, windows were refreshed, and things were peachy. But... \
> when > I went to log out of KDE, the xserver just shut my screen of. I had \
> previously edited my > initab to boot into runlevel 5, so I figured that if I did a \
> hard reboot, the xserver  would launch me into a graphical login. When I did this, \
> my screen started blinking  between blue and black!!!!

Is the font fixed in the default font path? This is one of the few
things that can stop Xpmac from working.

> Thinking I had no way of fixing this and tried with No Video Driver checked, all to \
> no avail. Thought I was screwed.

<snip>

> edit /etc/inittab in bbedit. Now, I can atleast get back to a console window.

You can tell Linux what runlevel to boot into by typing the number in
more kernel arguments -- so if you want Linux to boot into runlevel 3,
just pop a 3 in more kernel arguments. That is extermely handy for
problems like that, especially because LinuxDisks is old and buggy (it's
known to corrupt disks) and doesn't support IDE disks.

> I really like the way xpmac feels, and do not want to go back to XFree. So, after \
> this long winded explanation, my question is:
> How do I get xpmac to work properly. There must be other people out there running \
> kernel 2.2.14 on a beige G3 MT with the ATI Rage Pro 3D for DVD. What BootX \
> parameters do I specify? What command line parameters do I use when I run startx, \
> i.e. is it:

> startx -- -mach64

Use this, since it's the prefered form. Of course if your lazy, like
most of us, open up /usr/X11R6/bin/startx in your favorite text editor,
and replace  serverargs=""  with serverargs="-mach64". This should make
life easier for you -- no more typing -mach64 all of the time. If you
use kdm/xdm you will want to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and replace

> 0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

with

> 0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -mach64

for mach64 acceleration.

> Finally, when I run KDE, and choose "logout", how do I get Xpmac to bring me back \
> to the > console window?

It should normally. If it refuses to, switch back to the console
manually using control-command-f1. Note any errors it prints out, maybe
that will tell you why Xpmac isn't bringing you back to your console.

Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net |

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/