List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: kdebase-1.1.1-2a
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-01-16 6:52:28

Jim Downs wrote:

> Back in July, there were two updates for KDE.

Most of them, AFAIK are in the offical KDE 1.1.2.

> kdebase-1.1.1-2b: for WAV files and horizontal shading of the tool
> bar.

That is definatly part of the KDE 1.1.2 -- horizontal shading works
perfectly.

> And, kdebase-1.1.1-2a: to fix the color display of JPEG images.

Nope. I know that fix isn't in KDE 1.1.2 since I still have that
problem. I am not sure if that is PowerPC only. JPEG images still appear
yellow-greyscale in kview.

> After searching the mailing list archive I was able to locate
> kdebase-1.1.1-2b at ftp://dev.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/R5/RPMS/ppc/
> but kdebase-1.1.1-2a (to fix the color display) was not there.

KDE 1.1.1 is really old now. KDE 1.1.2 (released September 1999) is a
major improvement over the previous version, and should be used instead
of KDE 1.1.1 and containes fixes most if not all PowerPC-only problems
with KDE.

If you are running the lastest libraries (such as glibc, libstdc++,
binutil, gcc, etc.) you can get the .ppc.rpm from the KDE FTP site, if
you are running a pretty much stock LinuxPPC 1999 or YDL install get it
from ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/software/kde/.

>  Or is there another fix  for the bad resolution of background JPEGs.

I don't know where you are having problems with the resolution of
background JPEGs.

Don't overlook the obvious -- are you scaling a small picture up to fit
your background -- which causes ugly, blocky results. Also you might be
running an incompatible version of libjpeg? I have never had problems
with background images in KDE.

Happy KDEing!

Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net | "osonline.org"
					      The site which deals with