List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Re: partition check stick
From:       Justin Shore <macdaddy () vinnie ! ksu ! ksu ! edu>
Date:       1999-11-20 7:45:07

Paul,
	Along Randy's line of thinking, adding drives can be quite a
pain especially if they have a lower SCSI ID.  Its even worse if
you're using Apple's SCSI bus(es) (MESH) and another vendor's like
Adaptec.  Mixing the two and adding drives is a pain (just did that
tonight in fact :-( ).
	There are two solutions, either may be deemed easier
depending on your situation.

1,  crack open the case, remove the drive, change the SCSI ID to
something higher than what your current HD is set to, reinstall it.
Kinda long and somewhat drawn out.

2,  use LinuxDisks to copy your /etc/fstab (I'm assuming your setup
is simple here), use LinuxDisks to rename the old fstab to
fstab-before_new_HD or something similar, open it up and edit the
lines to read sdb where needed, save it and copy it back over to your
ext2 partition.  Note, I don't recommend that you use any old text
editor.  In fact I strongly urge you to not use any old text editor.
Most of you Mac text editor will use Mac-style linebreaks.  Very bad.
I recommend that you use BBEdit or BBEdit Lite for the job.  BBEdit
Lite is free and can be had here:

http://www.barebones.com/free/bbedit_lite.html

Make sure you do a "Save As", click "Options" and select "Unix" from
the LineBreaks menu.  You can try another text editor if you desire;
that's why I instructed you to rename the old fstab to something else
so you have a good backup.  LinuxDisk isn't listed on Ben's page
anymore; I don't know what happened to it.  If you can't find a copy,
let me know.  Good luck!

Justin