List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: partition check stick
From:       Randall R Schulz <rrschulz () cris ! com>
Date:       1999-11-20 6:59:01

Paul,

You've run afoul of the manner in which Linux assigns SCSI disks to
/dev entries. /dev entries are assigned according to the order in
which SCSI disks are found on a given bus. If you add a new drive at
a lower SCSI ID, it will affect all the Linux device names.

The upshot is, simply: don't do that! Add new drives only at higher
SCSI ID numbers than that of all other SCSI drives on a given bus and
save yourself the trouble.

If there's a compelling reason to add a new drive at a lower SCSI ID,
then you'll have to change your /etc/fstab and your BootX arguments
and anything else that contains logical drive names (as in /dev/sdX
or /dev/sdXnn).

Randy Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/