List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Help: Instalation on iMac with upgraded HD
From:       "Laurence F. Hawkins III" <laurence () teleport ! com>
Date:       1999-10-30 22:54:03

I have a Rev. B iMac and have upgraded with a Maxtor 36GB EIDE HD. I
partitioned the drive with Drive Setup to have a few Mac Partitions, a swap,
and a root. swap and root are Apple_UNIX_SVR2, and all the Mac partitions
are HFS+. When I try to install (using the LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 CD) the hard
drive is not recognized at all. It should show up as /dev/hda I would think,
but I have also checked every other combination I could think of. When I run
pdisk from the LinuxPPC installer, the drive is not recognized at all. I
have successfully installed Linux on a PMac 7200 before using an external
SCSI drive and everything worked fine, is there a limitation on the number
of partitions allowed on the Mac side, or is there a different Kernal I
should choose in BootX (I'm using the standard Linux Kernal). Any other help
would be appreciated...

PS... The drive is recognized under MacOS, and seems to work perfectly
otherwise...

Thanks, Laurence

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/