List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: root partition full !!
From:       Justin Shore <macdaddy () vinnie ! ksu ! ksu ! edu>
Date:       1999-10-30 5:35:28

At 7:08 AM +0200 10/30/99, Franck Chionna wrote:

<snip>
>  > Frank,
>  >         Out of curiousity, what does du -sk /* report?
>  >
>  > Justin
>
>it displays this
>
>du: cannot change to directory /proc/6/fd: Permission denied
>du: /proc/5030/fd/4: No such file or directory
>du: cannot change to directory /proc/5034/fd: Permission denied
>1894057 /

Ok, that's the expect error.  Where's the rest of it?  There should
have been about 20 lines of items.  For example, mine follows:

[Vinnie ~]$> su -
Password:
[Vinnie ~]#> du -sk /*
5215    /bin
3288    /boot
108     /dev
2210    /etc
9377071 /home
114066  /installs
12219   /lib
12      /lost+found
0       /mirror
1       /misc
194187  /mnt
du: cannot change to directory /proc/6/fd: Permission denied
du: /proc/23119/fd/4: No such file or directory
0       /proc
103418  /root
5573    /sbin
8       /tmp
804099  /usr
48670   /var
133     /web

	For one /usr shouldn't be that big.  I have to clean it up
one of these days (way to damn many libs and such).  All of / only
took up 1,283,285k (obviously /home wasn't included in that!).  This
wasn't a fancy install.  Just a quick one that works.  Some people
like to put /usr/local in a seperate drive which does have its
benefits.  I didn't want to take the time.  Personally, having root's
~ on / is a must.  I hate the way that LPPC puts it in /home.  There
is a reason why its not on /home and I think its stated in the LASG
(Linux Administrator's Security Guide) that is linked to off of
LPPC's security page.  Anyhow, enough of that rant.
	If you plan on having many users or if you are really
concerned with making sure your machine doesn't disallow logins due
to a full disk (especially root!), move /var to its on drive as well.
Numerous users = lots of mail.  Remember when the Stars Wars Menace
trailer brought mail servers everywhere to a halt?  Don't be a
victim!  Enforce e-mail quotas (not with general quotas obviously but
a custom script to email the abuser and you)! :-)

NOT be on /home IMHO.  /var should be on its own partition if you
having numerous users or expect large/numerous log files.  You will
see the benefit of having /usr/local on its own partition if you ever
reinstall your OS and expect to have your custom apps intact. ;-)

>the cache of netscape in .netscape
>was 80 mega....
>i trashed it
>but it's not enought, there are other unwanted things that disturb my root
>partition...

Dumping that was good.  There's probably more to can though.  We'll
keep looking.  You didn't by chance install a news server or caching
proxy server did you?

Justin

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/