List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: root partition full !!
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-10-30 4:32:54

on 10/29/99 8:58 PM, Hollis R Blanchard at hollis@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> Run df to see your disk usage. If it says you have plenty of space left,
> run df -i (and you may have to reformat).
>
> If you're legitimately out of space, though (which is entirely
> possible), fire up gnorpm and find things to erase. My first priority is
> emacs. ;-) If you have KDE and GNOME installed, you might want to axe
> one or the other.

Another thing is you may for some reason or another of a really large error
(or other unwanted file) on your hard drive. This is often the case if 6
hours ago you had 300 megs free, and you return to your computer and find
there is no space left.

I have seen this happen in a few cases. One is a file found in your home
directory (AKA ~/), called .xsession-errors which contains all of the recent
errors caused by a mistake in your X Server configuration. I have seen
default-font not found errors create a 80+ megabyte file (seriously, you
don't realize it but your X Server keeps writing error messages over and
over to your ~/.xsession-errors file.)

Another place were I have seen a problem with this was with Netscape
Communicator for PowerPC Linux -- it crashed and placed a file in
~/.netscape directory over 800 megs (which was all of my free space).

Using du -s (calculate folder size command) is a good way to check for files
that seem bloated. Be suspicious of really large files that you don't
remember creating or installing -- none of the default PowerPC Linux
packages have binaries (or any kind of file) over 25 megs in size.

Thanks,

Andrew B. Arthur
arthur99@globa2000.net
(G)AIM: AArthur PPC