List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Auto-On
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-10-11 5:54:39

> The Mac OS has a setting (in the Energy Saver control panel) that allows you
> to have the computer turn itself on automagically at a specified time
> (shutdown too).

This feature was introduced with the Macintosh II, introduced in the Spring
of 1987. This computer had some really neat features in it including auto
power off and on (and choice of monitors), which would be included in every
non-classic Macintosh after it. Yes, there was also some lame Performa Macs
that don't support this features, but they are fairly rare, old and don't
support PowerPC Linux or MkLinux.

Some systems also include Auto Power On/Off to work this feature in the Mac
OS.

> This is utterly cool, and makes me think that the hardware has some kind of
> limited "Watchdog" ability in it - how else could it turn itself on?

Macs use a little bit of power even when they are off (supplied by a built
in rechargeable battery that keeps several important settings (like Mac OS
color settings, OF settings, clock, mouse speed, sound settings, startup
disk settings and auto power on/off settings) and allows the computer to
send an low voltage signal to the Power Supply of your Macintosh when the
time in the system clock (which is always running) hits the time set in the
PRAM to shutdown / turn on.

> Is there any way to use Linux to control this feature?

Not sure about the auto power on, but of course you can use the power off
feature -- simply use either the shutdown -h 30 to shutdown in 30 minutes or
you could add halt to crontab to shutdown your machine at a scheduled time.
Or maybe telnet/ssh in and shutdown them.

This is one of those great things about PowerPC Machines (and x86 machines
with the new power management hardware) they turn themselves off when you
choose shutdown, and don't just give you "System Halted : Okay to Power
Off".

> Or am I stuck using the Mac's control panels for now?

AFAIK, to work the turn on feature, you still have to use the Mac OS control
panels, however you can have it set to boot automatically into Linux using
BootX or even Open Firmware/quik.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net