List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Netscape 4.7?
From:       R Shapiro <reshapiro () mediaone ! net>
Date:       1999-10-09 13:23:18

Randall R Schulz writes:
 > To answer your principal inquiry, no, Netscape 4.7 for LinuxPPC does
 > not support 128-bit encryption. I've heard talk here of something
 > called "fortify" that somehow endows certain versions of Netscape
 > with strong encryption

It's not so much a matter of "endowment" as "enablement".  Netscape
includes the code for full security in all builds, but disables it in
the "international" distributions.  Fortify then just re-enables it.

The crucial point is this: the makers of Fortify will *ONLY* make
fortifiers for versions of Netscape that are distributed by
Netscape.com itself. Their policy is not to bother with any other
builds. The linuxppc.com team never made arrangments with Netscape.com
to distribute 4.6, which is why Fortify never included support for
that version.  Fortunately a clever linuxppc user was willing to spend
the time to figure out the relevant morphs and hashes for 4.6, so it
is possible to fortify 4.6 for linuxppc.  But not with Fortify's
utility as distributed.

 > I don't know if it will work with version 4.7
 > (which includes Navigator version 4.08), the pertinent component.

It doesn't right now, and it never will unless the linuxppc folks who
did the port arrange for netscape.com to distribute this release.
Fortify won't touch it otherwise.  Can Jason or somebody please
arrange with Netscape.com to distribute the linuxppc 4.7 version?

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net
rshapiro@bbn.com

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/