List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Printing to a Epson 740
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-08-09 20:39:38

> No - I'm ready to trash LinuxPPC

<counter-rant>

> By the time you just get it up, the support from LinuxPPC
> is gone and I think by seeing all of the email, that there
> are tons of basic things people cannot get to work
> like printers, modems, mice, etc.. and they are spending
> way too much time trying this or that

Okay, I do have to admit the Epson 600 / 800 has quite poor support on the
PowerPC (due to they use a hack on the PowerPC to supply high-res data to
the printer faster then the normal speed of Macintosh serial ports) -- the
x86 version seems to work much easier with Linux, since the parrell port
seems not have these issues.

Many things (especially older devices) are better supported with LinuxPPC
then the Mac OS, examples:

   - ImageWriter II, it installation is easy, simply choose it from
printtool and it works, and supports ps printing with nothing special.

   - My 2400bps modem works great with Linux, I plugged it in, entered in a
few setting into KPPP, dialed up my ISP and I was online. Cake. Had trouble
with Open Transport / PPP finding the modem file. (eventually had to install
FreePPP to get it to work). I have had no problems with hardware 56k modems
either.

   - My 1987 LaCie/Epson SCSI 70 megabyte drive stores my Mp3s... and worked
without a problem in Linux.

   - My Zip drive worked without any special configuration in Linux.

   - My montior/configuration had no video problems with R5 or need for
adjustment. (Apple Multisync 15 - ATI v256 / Mach64.

The only piece of hardware I have been able to get to work with LinuxPPC is
on my home machine (not something you typically need on the Linux box at any
rate), my Umax Astra 610s.

You got to be kidding about having support in Mac OS X with some of my
perphals that don't work with LinuxPPC, they include:

   - geoport modem -- don't kid me, there will NEVER be a geoport modem
driver for Mac OS X, and there is only a small chance for LinuxPPC.

   - thunderscan -- you find me a driver / way to hook this up to modern
macintosh, you can feel pretty darn special.

So yes.... many populuar devices you probably have around work right out of
the box, some should work right out of the box had the installer not been so
dead brained, and some more will in the future with future drivers being
written by various individuals and companies (like ATI 128 support, better
Epson Stylus Color Support on the PowerPC, etc).

Don't forget that your older PowerMacs run find with Linux/PPC without
problems.

Finally, once you have your configuration set, you can copy it to literally
thousands of different computers on your network, assuming they all have the
same hardware / needs (this is great for a school setting or some offices).

> The savings in buying or downloading this product
> nowhere comes near the money spent in our time
> spent trying to just get our systems to a point
> of doing all of the basics - let alone doing more difficult
> projects
>
> I think that I will look into Mac OSx

Remember, Mac OS X Consumer 1.0 will certainly not be perfect in it's first
release. Much hardware will not be supported in it (like floppies probably
wont ever be) or older hardware like the Epson 600/800 (do they still make
those printers?) won't have drivers right away.

And don't forget, Mac OS X Consumer 1.0 will have it's share of interface
quirks, poor design and instability. Apple can't work miracles -- no matter
how much they test it, bugs will get into the release, especially figuring
that it's the first public release.

Of course it will improve, as will Linux. Both GUI's will improve with newer
releases and get better applications.

Remember release 1.0 of Mac OS X Consumer is still kind of a risky platform
to jump on -- many companies are preferring to work with Mac OS 9.x for now
-- and using carbon compatibility if needed. Coca apps are still something
that most developers are staying away from, except for those developers that
already have 1) NeXTstep/OpenStep apps 2) Unix-type apps.

> At least there I will get true support

From Apple.... well there support lately has been going downhill, and they
keep raising rates... but then again you have official support. But don't
forget a company like Linuxcare also can set your company up with
professional Linux support. And don't forget, some small local support
providers for the Linux operating system are springing up around --
especially in major cities -- although solaris support / support for other
UNIX's is more common now days.

> and I have already spent more money messing with LinuxPPC

Don't forget the configuration of one LinuxPPC machine, can be set to mirror
literally thousands of other base machines in your office. You can easily
set up large tools to help make sure office workers get the tools they need,
and that you stay in license compliance.

> than the price of Mac OSx

Don't forget, after you pay $100 a station for Mac OS X Client, you'll need
a $500 license for your Mac OS X Servers, you'll need to upgrade your non-G3
to machine to G3 (or install Mac OS 9.0 or LinuxPPC on them)... some people
claim that a 350 mhz machine is required to run Mac OS X Client smoothly and
quickly.

Of course, there are cases when Mac OS X Consumer / Server would be perfect
for your office:

1) You want a fast server for your Mac OS only office -- you have no UNIX
professionals there... you want something that can be set up and admined by
Mac OS professionals. Mac OS X Server would be much better then like
LinuxPPC.

2) You need to run apps like Photoshop, Microsoft Word, etc. or need strong
graphics / DTP support. You need to maximize ease of use to keep the people
happy. Mac OS X Client would be good for those boxes.

You want Linux for the PowerPC (such as Yellow Dog Linux, MkLinux or
LinuxPPC) most likely if:

1) Your office demands full posix / UNIX support, including X11. Things like
that won't be available right away with Mac OS X Server / Consumer.

2) Your office is running older machines -- too old to be useful with Mac OS
X Server / Consumer, such as first generation G3's or anything before that.
Of course then you'll probably want some kind of different OS's for
different machines, possibly a Mac OS 9.0 and Mac OS X Server/Client (for
G3's) combination or maybe a Linux and Mac OS 9.0 combination if most of
hardware is too old.

You might also look at Terra Soft Solution's Linux products -- they seem to
offer a wider selection of software designed to help your experience be more
business friendly, productive Linux products. They offer a variety of
software, including there flagship distro, Champion Server 1.1, which is
aimed for professional servers. They also some different support options
between them and Linuxcare to help out your business. Check them out
www.yellowdoglinux.com.

If you are looking for a UNIX for your m68k machines, check out
www.linuxm68k.com if you are looking for UNIX for Nubus PowerMacs, try out
MkLinux Release 1.0, coming out this fall.

Okay, I hope this clearly explains some of the issues and my thoughts on
Linux PowerPC, and maybe explains why or why not you need Linux on the
PowerPC in your business.

</counter-rant>
Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net
AIM: arthur998

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-user mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-user  if your ]]