List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: printing with epson 740
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-08-09 19:33:18

> I have never gotten my Epson 800 to print.  I tried contacting Epson for
> help and they refused to give me any stating that Linux is NOT supported.  I
> do know some people on this list have some information on a URL which shows
> how to get it to work.  I have had other problems with R5 and have not
> had time to work on the printing yet.
>
> Check the archives for Epson printing issues.  The URL should be there
> somewhere.

hehe... I lost the address myself too...

It's not hard to do at all, assuming you read the directions that are
included with the Epson 600/800 printing hack from the tarball you download
from there. If you can read the instructions, have root and can edit
half/install a dozen different files, you can print from it.

And it works pretty good in my experience -- true that printing large ps
graphics can be dog slow... but for printing webpages, text files or word
processing documents -- it's more then fine.

Supports the Linux Printing Daemon, so you can do things like print from
virtually and Linux application, and supports desktop printing if you are
using KDE's desktop printing feature or GNOME's g-print.

When I get a chance to mess with it again, I'll try to make a tarball / RPM
of the required configuration files / installation script for printer so
people don't have to actually read and figure out how to make the hack work.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net
AIM: arthur998

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-user mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-user  if your ]]